Friday, August 19, 2011

Started My Clean Water Mosaic

So, I did begin on my Clean Water (working title for a mosaic) piece that I came up with at least three years ago.  A series of surreal paintings popped into my head one night--like a flash.  I wrote down the ideas as they came and then the next would pop into my head, and I would write it down.

Since I am not a sketch or oil painting artist, I was concerned about how I was going to complete these.  I got some oil paints and began to play a little.  I painted a mountain, or was it an island?  Anyway, I got praise from several people about my first oil painting.  There was one person.--One!--and I don't even remember who it was, but he/she couldn't even make out that it was a mountain, or an island and kind of chuckled about it.

I haven't painted (except disappointing attempts at journal spilling with watercolors) since.

Anyway...so I decided that I could definitely do it with mosaic.  They wouldn't necessarily fit the images I saw in my head that were worthy of being compared to Dali or Kush, or Moore, but perhaps one day when I perfected oil painting, if ever, I could attempt to get the clearer picture on paper.

This mosaic project, that began as a mosaic-a-day, has gotten me started on my "real work." (I haven't stopped doing the smaller mosaics, I just won't be doing them daily.)

So, with reading Fear & Art and being inspired by a skull-a-day, I am beginning to trust in my artistic ability.

1 comment:

  1. Well I completely trust your ability and look forward to seeing more mountains. I am inspired by your courage to walk thru the fear and find the beauty...Thank you for opening my eyes and heart to "ART" daily, weekly you know every moment counts!
    :)

    ReplyDelete