Saturday, August 20, 2011

Scraping the Canvas

Part of the silent agreement I made with myself when I began on Clean Water, was that it might not be perfect or look anything like I want it to, but that didn't matter.  I could reproduce it again until I got it right if I wanted--using the lessons I learned making the one before.

That idea came to me from Art & Fear and was reinforced by seeing that Dali repeated his art at times.

I decided that I could always scrape off areas that I didn't like what they looked like and start them over. I realized I had done that for two custom pieces I created as presents. Although I hate the idea of having to scrape the glass off without disturbing surrounding areas, I realized that it is unlikely that any artist relishes the idea of scraping the material from their canvas to fix an error; and, that perhaps it is part of the process.

I'd much rather spend my time getting to the end of the piece so I can finally meet it, but I'd get more pleasure from something I didn't cringe at each time I looked at it.

PS....Happy Birthday to Jaime--the sister that God forgot to give me!

1 comment: